Sunday, August 30, 2009

OUR MILITARY

This is a touchy subject for me, but one that I need to work on.

As many know I have a friend (yes Scot I have a friend), Mike LaBonte. Last year, he was notified that he was being deployed again over seas. Well he left about two months ago for Afghanistan. He is First Sergeant, and in charge of more stuff than I care to think about. His wife Kim, is home with their two boys (like they would be allowed to go), I have not see either of them in a good amount of time. Mike is like a brother to me, and Kim my sister. Knowing the hell that they are both going through makes me wonder what this garbage overseas is really about. Then I think about ALL of the men and women who have served proudly, and have even given their lives for this country and it's people. Is it really worth it? Having to see the pain of the injured, the family strife of those who don't understand the military life, and the agony of the families of those who gave their lives. Some say yes it is worth it, and some say no bring them home. I for one feel that I am one of those that says "Yes it is worth it, but get the job done and bring our people home."

3 comments:

  1. I fully support our military. They have to go places because they are told to. They may not think it is best or not agree either, but they are doing a job. When my brother died and his 23 year old son went to Iraq, it really got to me. I was so proud of Josh for serving, but I wanted him to do a good job and get home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought these people have been fighting each other for 1, 000s of years. What makes us think we can change their minds. I am all for helping other countries. Unfortunately we have a lot of issues right now in our own country that we need to take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kelley. We do have many issues in our own country that need fixing. I also want to add that too many U.S. Americans think that freedom is their right, not a priviledge that was cleansed by the blood of martyrs. They think that the government holds and confines them as if we were living in a 'police state'. Have them go to a country where democracy is antiquated and let's see how long they last. Mike is one of many who was born to serve and protect. I seriously feel as if it was never a choice with Mike; it was always a part of him. To Mike, to my relatives, and to the many, many soldiers who not only fight for freedom but for souls, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete